Tuesday, December 10, 2013

taught to the teacher

Several years ago, I assigned my students book reports, and many of them (in different classes) chose to do the various books from the Chronicles of Narnia. I figured, since I had never read any of them, that I would read them too.

So I started with the first book and went through the series. I discovered two things. First, these are excellent books! I should have guessed this, since I truly enjoyed C.S. Lewis's Screwtape Letters and Mere Christianity, but I was still pleasantly surprised. The second thing that I discovered was that some of my students who were claiming to read these books were only reading the first chapter and the back cover and then using that limited information to write their book reports. See, little did they know that I had read the same books that they had read, so I knew exactly what happened in each book. 

At first, I was really frustrated. I thought, I know exactly what these stories are about. Do they seriously think they can fool me with these "short-cut" book reports? They have the nerve to tell me that they read the whole book?

And then my thoughts wandered... and I was convicted.

Are there not times when I do almost the same thing with God? I take "short-cuts" and convince myself that I have done what was required of me, but am I seriously trying to fool my omniscient God? I wonder if God looks at me and says I know exactly what you are about and do you think you are fooling me with your "short-cuts"? 

Have you really convinced yourself that you have read your Bible as you should? 
Prayed as you should? 
Yielded to the Holy Spirit as you should? 
Shared the Gospel as you should? 
Obeyed as you should? 
Trusted me as you should? 
Helped others, rather than self, as you should? 
Loved as you should?


Lived the Christian life as you should? 

It's your reasonable service.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. ~ Romans 12:1-2


No comments:

Post a Comment